Saturday, August 02, 2008

Off the Peg - Revisted




I feel as though I have been left behind in the frenzy which has made its way to Hikkaduwa. Well in the least its given me time to revisit some of my old work and relive its old vision. This was a series I began through a workshop at the Goethe Institut Colombo about a couple of years back. A dear friend has been reminding me to restart this work... which I hope one day will find it's place in a book of sorts.
The images try to tell the story of a place (country) with the clothesline ever present; Off the Peg. I know I could put that better... (this is why I am not a writer).
The 3 images were taken at different times (from top to bottom) 1. A communal hanging centre (?I just invented that name) on the Kandy-Peradiniya Rd, 2. The Christmas Star; Ragama 3. The Race Course; Nuwera Eliya.

4 comments:

Jagath Dheerasekara said...

great work. glad you recommenced it. simply fabulous and awesome. am overwhelmed by democratic visual language you adopted as opposed to that of highly charged and polemic. this is, in fact, the strongest differentiator in this essay which is free of visual rhetoric. It, i believe, will open a new window for a viewer to see the sri lankan society close to reality or give a closer authentic view. am sure, your terms of reference would have played a major role in this. good luck my friend.

Tavish Gunasena said...

Wow love that first one! You're right about that Hikka frenzy as well! keep this going i know its gonna be good! brilliant work!

Dushantha said...

hey alefia...nice to see more of the clothesline pics...the pics are just fantastic..love the first one.
ive beem following up on the assignments and i've built up quite a collection..will show you soon.if you can please send me some more assignments..thnx for you help..

Rivi said...

Its nice to see you focussed on telling the story of the lives in Hikkaduwa rather than the usual beach pictures. Nice work!

Rivi

About Me